Comments, complaints, broken
links, disappointed hopes - please
The Rectors of Ordsall
[History index] [Next]
|9 April 1742-1774
1710. His brother was a merchant near Rotherham. Instituted
9th April, 1743. MA. Cambridge. Rector of Barnborough,
Yorkshire 1767-1774. For a time he was Vicar of Penistone,
and held the two livings by Dispensation from the Archbishop
1743, Archbishop Herring of York held a Visitation of the
County. In reply Thomas Cockshutt answered that there
were 60 families in the parish, of which 1 was Quaker.
There was no meeting house nor public or charity school.
He had £5 per year for the poor.
He himself resided at
Penistone and Mr. Heald of Babworth
served the parish (as he had done during the interregnum) until he could
proper Curate for which he had allowed £30 a year.
There was a Service every Sunday and the Lord's Supper was
celebrated five time a year: palm Sunday, Easter Day,
Whitsunday, Michaelmas, and Christmas Day. There were
some 100 potential communicants of whom 60-70 had actually
communicated the previous Easter. Timely notice was
always given of the Sacrament, though it was not the
practice in this parish for people to submit their names in
advance. No-one had been refused the Sacrament.
previous Rector, he said, always catechised during Lent "and
the Parishioners (I am inform'd) as to the remainder of this
Query are behaved well." Sadly, I don't have the
question to which this is the answer.
far as we know Cockshutt never performed any duties at Ordsall. He
became Canon of Southwell in 1753, and was for a time
Rector of Beelsby, Lincolnshire. In 1765 he arranged with
the famous organ builder Mr. Snetzler for the repairs to the
he was appointed Vicar-General of the Southwell College of
Canons, and had jurisdiction over 28 Churches for all
purposes, except Confirmation and Ordination. It is said
that he was “not distinguished but for his integrity and
good humour.” He died at Retford on 13th April, 1774 anti
was buried on 15th April in the Chancel near the Vestry
door. His sister Ann married Thomas Wheat of Retford.
no information about this Rector. Apparently he never
resided at Ordsall. In the Town’s Book there are notes.
1798, Mr. William Nelson erected a pew seat in No. 4
(commonly called the Rector’s Servants) by consent of Rev.
Scott, provided he would give peaceable possession.”
30th, 1795. A subscription entered into for the relief of
poor families in the Parish, it being a severe season, and
provisions at an uncommon high price given at 4 separate
payments to persons in work and out of work. Rev. Joseph
Scott £3/3/0. The total was £16/2/0.”
All the duty in the parish was performed by Rev. Joshua
Flint, Vicar of Clarborough. This Venerable Curate held
office for 53 years, until he died and was buried at
Fledborough in 1822.
St. John’s College, Cambridge. Baptised at Staveley 30th
November, 1771. Died 13th Dec. Buried 18th Dec., 1841 at
Staveley. He was also Rector of Elmton where he lived,
while Ordsall was served by Curates.
was the son of Samuel Foxlowe, Esq. of Tideswell, and
afterwards of Staveley Hall. His mother was Dorothy,
daughter of Rev. James Gisburne, Rector of Staveley. He
married Jane, daughter of Richard Slater, Attorney of
Chesterfield. During his time the Rectory was built near
the Church, where the Curate, Rev. T. H. Marshall, came to
live about 1822. Other Curates were Rev. W. Bury, Rev.
C. Bigsby, Rev G.
Rhodes and Rev. F. O. Morris. The last was the well-known
writer on British Birds.
Directory for 1830 Francis Foxlow (sic) is recorded as
living in Stavely.
Born 25th July, 1801. Son of Captain William and Penelope
King, and grandson of Thomas King of Sileby,
Leicestershire. His Aunt, Ann King married Rev. Stuart
Corbet, and he married their daughter Louisa, who was his
cousin. The Rev. S. Corbet was offered the living of
Ordsall but did not accept. A relative of his was Agent to
the Earl of Wharncliffe, patron of Ordsall, who presented
him with the living.
He had a wooden leg, and was a familiar figure in the
village. He had a small farm and his bailiff lived at
Beech Cottage. He died on 26th May, 1873, and was buried
on the north side of the Church, where his tombstone may
be seen. His mother, wife, and Aunt Catherine are also
In 1848 Morning
Service was held at 11am, Afternoon Service at 3pm.